Thursday, June 2, 2011

Much Needed Advice That is Not Much Needed

We're getting our home inspected by dog people again tonight. I'd imagine that no matter what it looks like, it's going to be nicer than the average home. We're pretty clean people, and we're minimalists when it comes to decoration. We don't collect hummels or decorative plates or anything else people would never buy unless they were told to collect them.

I do realize that what impresses humans and what impresses dogs are very different things. We've got a great view of the east river, marble countertops, and new fixtures. I hope that the people looking us over are impressed, and forget that a dog wouldn't care about any of that. Though marble counter tops are harder to destroy.

When I told my mother that we were looking at another dog, she suggested that I call a family friend who has a dog for advice. I reminded her that Sara volunteers at a dog shelter, and she's fostered a dog in the past. My mother insisted, as if my offer to not bother someone with questions I already know the answer to would somehow be rude. It reminded me of when my father first met Sara and told her about a website to get discount theater tickets, because Sara works as an exec on Broadway. They mean well, but it is silly to offer someone advice in their field of expertise. I can't wait to get a dog, so my parents give her advice on how to shit outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment